Friday, December 29, 2017

Christmas Reflection: December 29

Luke 2:22-35

“Now there was a man whose name was Simeon. This man was righteous and devout awaiting the consolation of Israel and the Holy Spirit was upon him.”

Waiting is very hard for us to do. To wait for a long time is VERY hard, and in this day and age, it is almost unheard of. We would rather find another and faster route. Simeon was steadfast and waited for a sign that he knew God would give him. He was an old man and still he waited and waited – and trusted. He did not give up as months and years came and went. He prayed that he would not die until he saw the blessed Promise.

Can I identify with Simeon? Do I recognize Jesus in the happenings of my life? Can I wait patiently for God’s direction and promise in my daily life? Simeon’s eyes were growing weak with age, but he trusted that when the Child came to the temple the Holy Spirit would enlighten him. Simeon was not alone in the waiting. The Holy Spirit was with him and would lead him to the Promised One when the time came.

Waiting for God to fulfill our request can be almost intolerable. There is a reason why things happen when they do. Scripture tells us that Simeon was a man of prayer and was open to the Holy Spirit. Can I say this of myself?

From the founding of our Congregation until her journey to heaven, Mother Pauline was an ideal model of waiting for answers from God and of openness to the Holy Spirit. So many heartbreaks, so many decisions, yet we know she prayed and waited for the Holy Spirit to direct her.

As a Sister of Christian Charity, am I a person of prayer like Simeon and Mother Pauline? Can I be patient and wait for the Holy Spirit, or am I always in a hurry for a fast answer?

No comments:

Post a Comment