Saturday, December 9, 2017

Advent Reflection for December 9

Isaiah 30:19-21, 23-26; Matthew 9:35-10:1, 5a, 6-8

It is Advent.  “In response to God’s call,” where am I going? What am I doing? How am I reacting?

We read in Matthew that “Jesus went around to all…teaching… proclaiming…curing…moved with pity.  Jesus then sent out the Twelve after instructing them: ‘Go…proclaim…cure…raise.’”

Jesus instructs us also to “Go…As you go…proclaim…cure…raise.”  Where do I go?  To whom and what do I proclaim, cure, raise?  I desire to go where God calls me and to whom God wants. But how do I know God’s will?   Isaiah tells us that God does not hide himself: “From behind, a voice shall sound in your ears: ‘This is the way walk in it,' when you would turn to the right or to the left.” 

God is always present; but I am not always present to God and do not always hear God’s voice within me or through others.  Even with other people I am not always present:  “What did she say?  I wasn’t listening.”  I need to live in the present moment and strive to be aware of God’s presence so that I can hear God’s voice and know God’s will for me.

With Mother Pauline I pray: “From morning to evening and from evening to morning, let my heart be with God.  I want to remain with him, walk before him. . . . O dearest God, help me to become ever more closely and more intimately united with you, thereby growing in genuine love of neighbor.  Grant me a heart full of love to impress itself on every aspect of my behavior” (1854).

What can I do each day that will help me to respond to God’s call within me at the present moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment