Friday, December 15, 2017

Advent Reflection: December 15

Matthew 11:16-19

“I’m for Paul!” “I’m for Peter!”

“What’s in it for me?”

“I refuse to follow the crowd!”  “Everyone is doing it.  Get with it!”

“I’m for this change.”  “I prefer the status quo.”

Things really have not changed since the time of Jesus.  One day everyone is shouting in favor of something and three days later, they condemn it. 

Do we easily “dance or cry” to the “tune of the moment” played by friends, politicians, neighbors, the news media, or the thousands of other sources on our information highways?

What do we believe?  Do we stand by our convictions or do we go with the flow of what is popular at the moment?

What are our limits, our boundaries – “Anything but this,” “Anywhere but here,” “Not him/her,” “Anyone but them”?

Do we stop to listen to ourselves?

Jesus challenges us today.  Are we up to that challenge? Where do I stand with Jesus?  Am I compromising on my Catholic principles and values because I do not want to offend?  Jesus did not worry about offending anyone by the authenticity of his life or his words.  To live the Will of the Father was his only source of strength; the GOOD NEWS of love and forgiveness for ALL was his message.  He did not compromise.

Mother Pauline did not compromise, either.  She knew the source of her strength in making decisions, guiding the Congregation: “O Jesus, teach me to conform my will always more and more to your Holy Will.  Direct me and all my affairs wholly as you will and teach me to say always: ‘Thanks be to God’” (1846). 

Today, take a written self-inventory – Are you dancing?  Crying?  Floating in between?  Something else?

No comments:

Post a Comment