Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Advent Reflection: December 12

Luke 1:26-38

If Mary was perplexed by the greeting of the Angel Gabriel, I wonder how she might have felt knowing many people throughout the centuries would call her “mother.” Today we celebrate the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Reflecting on the simplicity of the Virgin of Nazareth, and her fiat, it is no wonder she chooses to reveal herself to the poor in spirit— in this case, a poor mestizo named Juan Diego. In the ordinary circumstances of her life she was able to show that the One who accomplished the work in her was the Lord. We do not have to seek Mary in the greatness of signs and wonders, because she walked our ordinary path. Therefore, we can trust that her experience of life’s joys and sorrows makes her heart more compassionate towards us. Our Lady’s words to Juan Diego demonstrate this:

“Here I will give all my love, my compassion, my help and my protection to the people. I am your merciful mother, the merciful mother of … all mankind, of all those who love me, of those who cry to me, of those who seek me, of those who have confidence in me. Here I will hear their weeping, their sorrow, and will remedy and alleviate all their multiple sufferings, necessities and misfortunes.”                                                                                                                
“Am I not here, your mother? Are you not under my protection? Are you not in the hollow of my mantle, in the crossing of my arms? What else do you wish? Do not grieve nor be disturbed by anything.”

Today let us try to find Our Lady in the ordinary circumstances of our day, and pray with Mother Pauline: “Blessed Virgin Mary, I run to take refuge beneath your protection. Help me in life and in death.”

No comments:

Post a Comment