Friday, September 2, 2016

The Doubtful, the Sinners and Mother Teresa

In preparation for the canonization of Mother Teresa on Sunday, September 4, we continue providing excerpts from the recently-published A Call to Mercy.  Today's chapters focus on "Counsel the Doubtful" and "Admonish Sinners."

p. 168 - Mother Teresa had a notable gift to be able to set at peace a "restless and troubled mind."  Her method was simple:  first she would listen.  She would listen attentively to the account being related to her, but even more she would listen to the pain and confusion that accompanied it. . . . Constantly aware of her own weakness, especially her interior darkness, she assumed a humble and unpretentious attitude toward all.  This attitude helped many to be completely open with her and to experience her compassion.

p. 188 - "Hate the sin, love the sinner" was a principle much ingrained in Mother Teresa's manner of dealing with people.  She knew very well how to separate the sin from the sinner, the wrong from the person who did it, always respecting the person's dignity in spite of the fault committed.  This uncommon ability was at times misunderstood and taken as leniency or a lack of courage.  Yet she would not miss an opportunity to correct the wrong.  This she would do, though, without condemning the wrongdoer; rather, she would encourage the person, calling them to repentance and a change of life.  She was not correcting others because their wrongdoing was annoying or affecting her, but out of love for God and for the sinner himself.

Today's reflection:  Am I open enough to seek and accept the counsel of others when I am in doubt, in confusion, in darkness?  Do I act impulsively in a situation where I lack clarity, or do I seek the advice of others?  Am I humble enough to consider others' advice and to take it into account?  Am I willing to listen to others?  Do I take time to listen? Am I patient with others who are in doubt and in darkness?  Is the advice that I offer the fruit of my prayer, my reflection, and my intention to do the best for the person in need?  Is my advice mixed with my own agenda or does it reflect a lack of real concern? (p. 186)

An invitation:  You are welcome to attend a presentation on "Mother Teresa: A Saint of Mercy" at Good Shepherd Roman Catholic Parish in Andover, NJ on Sunday, September 4.  Click here for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment