Saturday, September 3, 2016

Bearing Wrongs, Forgiving Offenses and Mother Teresa

In preparation for Mother Teresa's canonization on  Sunday, we consider the book, A Call to Mercy.  Today we reflect on excerpts from the chapters, "Bear Wrongs Patiently" and "Forgive Offenses Willingly."

p. 224 - "How very often very small misunderstandings -- repeated -- become a cause of so much suffering.  In the name of Jesus and for the love of Jesus, accept these little gifts from Him.  Look up at that little hurt and see the gift of Jesus only.  He . . . accepted so much suffering and humiliations because He loved you.  Will you not accept the little correction or hurt because you love Him?"

p. 252 - "To be able to pray we need to forgive.  Then our hearts will be free to pray.  And we must really pray and make many sacrifices to make peace in our own house first.  We cannot work for peace, nor give peace, if we do not have that peace in our own hearts.  That is why many things are made to destroy life; it is because peace is destroyed in [our] own hearts.  Just as we love in action, so we also have destruction in action."

Reflection for today:  Do I make connections with the wrongs I bear and the wrongs Jesus bore for me on the Cross?  Do I consider the immense wrongs done to the poor, the humiliations and privations?  What are the wrongs done to me in comparison to the wrongs they suffer?  Am I aware that I might be doing something that can be an annoyance or a bother to others?   Do I realize that I might lack thoughtfulness toward others, that I might be trying to them (for example, having a loud conversation when someone is trying to work or study, being too noisy when someone is trying to rest)?  Am I so busy with myself that I cannot think about others' needs?  How do I react when others show a lack of thoughtfulness toward me?  What wrongs can I bear patiently, including those small offenses, which Saint Therese of Lisieux called "pinpricks," that do no more than produce personal discomfort or inconvenience for me?  Can I accept that I am being overlooked?  That I am not given due consideration? (p. 247)

No comments:

Post a Comment