Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Sick, the Imprisoned and Mother Teresa

As the Church prepares for the canonization of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta on Sunday, September 4, we continue our journey through the beatitudes as reflected upon in A Call to Mercy: Hearts to Love, Hands to Serve (Image Press, 2016).

pp. 82-3: "'I was sick and you visited me' were the words of Jesus.  So many of our poor just long for a visit from someone.  When you talk to them, put all your love and sweetness into your words -- or rather ask Jesus to speak through you. [The proof] that Christ was divine, that He was the expected Messiah, [is] that the Gospel is preached to the poor -- the proof that this work is God's work is that the Gospel is preached to the poor.  Pray and thank God for having chosen you to live this life and do this work."

pp. 110-1:  "Mother Teresa visited prisoners and took great care of them.  She did so without prejudice toward anyone, without looking down on anyone, without condescension, but rather with great respect for each person and with great hope.  She was always ready to offer someone another chance (and not just a second chance!).  She approached each one, independently of the reason for which they were sentenced, precisely with an attitude of mercy, which was partly the fruit of her own conviction that 'there, but for the grace of God, go I,' and partly the fruit of her compassion for this particular suffering person."

Reflection for today:  What is your attitude toward prisoners? That they deserve to be where they are or that it could be me? When I see or hear about a prisoner, do I think: "What could he or she have done to be there?" Or do I see a child of God, my brother, my sister?  Is there a way I can participate in this work of mercy? For example, could I join a volunteer program or help in some rehabilitation program, and so forth? If I am "imprisoned" in my own prejudices, what concrete steps can I take to learn the truth and correct my mistaken thinking?  Am I imprisoned in my own egoism and pride?  Can I get out of myself and offer a helping hand to someone who is in a more difficult situation than I am?  Can I have a kind and positive attitude toward someone who is "imprisoned" by addiction?  Am I able to approach them and by my understanding love give peace and joy? (p. 125)

No comments:

Post a Comment