Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Let Us Go Now to Bethlehem

In his homily for Christmas Eve 2018 (available here), Pope Francis prayed, "'Let us go now to Bethlehem' (Lk 2:15).  With these words, the shepherds set out.  We too, Lord, want to go to Bethlehem.  Today too, the road is uphill: the heights of our selfishness need to be surmounted, and we must not lose our footing or slide into worldliness and consumerism.  I want to come to Bethlehem, Lord, because there you await me.  I want to realize that you, lying in a manger, are the bread of my life.  I need the tender fragrance of your love so that I, in turn, can be bread broken for the world.  Take me upon your shoulders, Good Shepherd; loved by you, I will be able to love my brothers and sisters and to take them by the hand.  Then it will be Christmas, when I can say to you: 'Lord you know everything; you know that I love you' (cf. Jn 21:17)."



No comments:

Post a Comment