Thursday, September 22, 2011

"The struggle for justice doesn't end with me . . ."

These were the words of Troy Davis yesterday prior to his execution by the State of Georgia:
"The struggle for justice doesn't end with me. This struggle is for all the Troy Davises who came before me and all the ones who will come after me. I'm in good spirits and I'm prayerful and at peace."

After a delay of more than four hours, the State of Georgia killed Troy Davis for a crime he may not have committed. Yes, there was doubt and they might have executed the wrong man. However, let's use Troy's words to redouble our efforts to abolish the death penalty so that no state can choose to execute any man.

Amnesty International is asking for signers to the "Not in my Name" pledge. Amnesty will also host a call at 7 pm this Friday to discuss Troy Davis and what our work means for the death penaly abolition movement, and what we can do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment