Monday, October 11, 2010

Hate Mail

Increasingly over the past several months, I have received what I can only refer to as hate e-mails directed at Muslims in the United States. In general, these e-mails have either no grain of truth or the grain of truth contained within is microscopic and blown out of proportion to increase the sensationalism of the e-mail.

I have received e-mails announcing a "new" Muslim stamp (which is actually 9 years old), blaming the production of said stamp on President Obama (who was not the U.S. President 9 years ago), and listing all the horrific things that Muslims have done which should scare us into hateful opposition of the stamp.

I have received multiple e-mails asking if a "good" Muslim can be a "good" American. Said e-mail lists the theological, religious political, and other reasons why the answer to that query should be "no." Most of the reasons given are faulty at best, hateful at worst.

In general, when I receive such e-mails my routine is to hit "delete" before I even stoop to opening them. I thought that if I simply ignored the e-mail and refused to forward it, I would be doing the loving thing. However, I realize that in deleting them and not responding to the sender, I am allowing hate to win the day.

So, here's my challenge to all of us:
  1. Refuse to forward such e-mails
  2. Reply to the sender, indicating your feelings about receiving such e-mails
  3. Check out the facts of the e-mail at snopes.com or another reputable site; inform the sender of the facts and include the snopes.com link in your reply
  4. If you are one who forwards such e-mails, stop and think before hitting send: "Do I know this to be true?" "Is this inflammatory?" "Is this loving?"
  5. Make a commitment -- if you MUST forward e-mails -- that you will only forward those that lift others up to a higher place, not those that crush others into the ground
  6. Spend some time each month learning about Islam. Becoming educated might allow some of the fear to dissipate and might allow loving responses to emerge more readily.

Non-violence begins with the little things we do each day. Let's commit to doing the loving things with regard to our Muslim brothers and sisters. Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment