Thursday, September 1, 2016

The Dead, the Ignorant and Mother Teresa

We continue our journey through the beatitudes in preparation for the canonization of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, using A Call to Mercy: Hearts to Love, Hands to Serve, edited by Brian Kolodiejchuk, MC, and published by Image Press.  Today's reflections come from chapters seven and eight, "Bury the Dead," and "Instruct the Ignorant."  (Click here for more information on the canonization and the book.)

p. 130: "There was a man dying, and he didn't want anything.  He said, 'Just hold my hand and with my hand in your hand, I am ready to go.' There he sat, lying there all cold, only his face with still bright, but that's all that he wanted.  He didn't want me to say anything or do anything, only to just sit on his bed and hold his hand, and he felt quite ready to go."

p. 150:  "In London, there are big boys and girls who have not made First Communion there, in the area where we are.  The sisters have been trying and trying to get the family together, the young people together to prepare them for First Communion.  Then one day the mother of one family said, 'Sister, why don't you teach me? I have a better opportunity when they come home in the evening together.  My children are there, my husband is there. I will teach them.' And so Sister taught her, and now even the husband comes . . . to be present at the lessons that the wife is giving to the children."

Reflection for today:  Are there areas of my life, especially my spiritual life, where I need to realize and recognize my ignorance and take steps to learn?  Am I obstinate in my attitude of superiority and unwillingness to learn and improve?  Do I have the courage to stand for what I know is right and true, in spite of contrary opinions around me? Is my stubbornness and unapproachability an impediment to spreading Gospel truths and values?  Do I teach not only with my words, but with my example, with the spirit of doing good to others? (p. 165)

AN INVITATION:  On Sunday, September 4, you are welcome to attend a presentation -- "Mother Teresa: A Saint of Mercy" at Good Shepherd Roman Catholic Parish in Andover, NJ.  Please click here for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment