Sunday, September 4, 2016

Comforting, Praying and Mother Teresa

Blessed Teresa of Calcutta is being canonized today.  (The Mass began at 4:00 am EDT and is being replayed on EWTN if you missed it.)  During the past week, we have been reflecting on A Call to Mercy: Hearts to Love, Hands to Serve, a newly-published book edited by Rev. Brian Kolodiejchuk, MC and published by Image.  Because the book is based on the corporal and spiritual works of mercy, we end our reflections with "Comfort the Afflicted" and "Pray for the Living and the Dead."

p. 280 - "In England, Mother has started a small group, a listening group, and they go to these old people, ordinary old people's houses, and they just let them talk and talk and talk.  If only [they have] just that one person to listen, they go there.  Very old people love to have somebody to listen, even if they have to tell the story of thirty years ago, but it is good to listen, and I think it is a very beautiful thing. . . . Once you start visiting those places, these people, you will very soon find that maybe a little thing will please that person, and that little thing you can [do for them]. . . . You can find out what they need, go once and see, then you find out -- a book, a card, only that simple contact with them."

p. 308 - "To be able to love the unloved, to be able to give [love] in your heart to the unwanted, unloved, uncared for, [we need to begin to love] at home.  And how does it begin?  By praying together.  For the fruit of prayer is deepening of faith.  Then I believe that really whatever I do, I do it to God Himself, the deepening of faith.  And the fruit of faith is love, God loves me, I love my brother, my sister.  Doesn't matter [what] religion, doesn't matter [what] color, doesn't matter [what] place, my brother, my sister, created by God Himself -- same hand -- and then the fruit of love must be action, must be service, I do something. . . . Pray together, really have the courage to do something beautiful for God, and whatever you do to each other, you do it to God."

Today's reflection:  Am I afraid to get involved in other people's suffering and thus keep my distance?  Do I use the advice "not to get too involved or too personally affected" as an excuse not to help someone who is suffering deeply?  Can I "love until it hurts," forgoing something of my own comfort, convenience, and enjoyment in order to help someone in need?  How can I cultivate greater sensitivity to others' sufferings?  Can I look for someone in my community or family, among my friends, colleagues and acquaintances, who is afflicted in some way and offer a small gesture, a word of comfort or a smile that will make their day brighter?  Can I do it in a way that is discreet, respectful, and nonintrusive?  (p. 303)


No comments:

Post a Comment