Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Naked, the Homeless and Mother Teresa

You will recall that on Sunday we introduced Mother Teresa's new book, A Call to Mercy: Hearts to Love, Hands to Serve, edited by Brian Kolodiejchuk, MC.  In preparation for her canonization on Sunday, September 4, we are sharing excerpts of the book this week.  Since the book is divided into chapters based on the corporal and spiritual works of mercy, today's reflections come from chapters three and four, "Clothe the Naked" and "Shelter the Homeless."

pp. 41-2:  "There is nakedness for that human dignity, for that respect of the Divine that is in each one of us.  Because God has created us for greater things, to love and to be loved.  And so when we take away the dignity of that human being, we are destroying in him that divinity that is in him."

p. 51:  "It may be if you go to the station and it may be if you visit some of the very poor areas, you will find people who are sleeping just in the park or you will see them sleep in the street.  I have seen people in London, I have seen people in New York, I have seen people in Rome sleeping out in th street, in the park, and this is not the only kind of homelessness -- that is terrible, terrible to see in the cold night, a man, a woman sleeping on a piece of newspaper in the street.  But there is much greater homelessness -- being rejected, being unwanted, being unloved."

Reflection for today:  When I meet a homeless person on the street, do I just cross to the other side to avoid an unpleasant experience?  Can I acknowledge that person?  Can I greet him or her with a smile and listening ear?  Or do I feel superior and have sentiments of self-righteousness as I reject, or worse, despise the person on the street?  In what way can I open my hear to someone in my own home, my family, my community, my workplace, or my neighborhood?  What small act of kindness can make my home a place where my family members, relatives, friends, or co-workers feel accepted, appreciated, loved, and welcomed?  Having a welcoming smile that makes those who approach you feel accepted might be an excellent way to practice hospitality (pp. 75-6).

Click here for more information about Mother Teresa's canonization or about A Call to Mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment