Monday, August 29, 2016

The Hungry, the Thirsty and Mother Teresa

You will recall that yesterday we introduced Mother Teresa's new book, A Call to Mercy: Hearts to Love, Hands to Serve, edited by Brian Kolodiejchuk, MC.  In preparation for her canonization on Sunday, we are sharing excerpts of the book this week.  Since the book is divided into chapters based on the corporal and spiritual works of mercy, today's reflections come from the first two chapters, "Feed the Hungry" and "Give Drink to the Thirsty."

p. 2 - "Mother Teresa is not known for setting up great programs that resolve world hunger (worthy and necessary as they are) but for 'feeding the hungry,' one by one, one at a time.  Yet in doing so she made a great difference first in the lives of these individuals, and ultimately in the world."

p. 28 - [Mother Teresa's own words] "He is saying: 'I am hungry. I am thirsty. I have no place.  I have nobody.  You did it unto Me.' I am always saying that we are not social workers, but contemplatives in the heart of the world.  In the heart of the world we are feeding Jesus who is hungry.  We are giving the water of mercy to our people, to Jesus."

Today's prayer:  Mary, Mother of Jesus, you were the first one to hear Jesus cry, "I thirst." You know how real, how deep is His longing for me and for the poor.  I am yours -- Teach me, bring me face-to-face with the love in the Heart of Jesus Crucified.  With your help, Mother Mary, I will listen to Jesus's thirst and it will be for me a WORD OF LIFE.  Standing near you, I will give Him my love, and I will give Him the chance to love me and so be the cause of your joy.  And so I will satiate the thirst of Jesus. Amen. -- Mother Teresa (from p. 33 of A Call to Mercy)

No comments:

Post a Comment