As part of our ongoing observance of the 200th birthday of Blessed Pauline von Mallinckrodt, we continue to post excerpts of Als Antwort auf Gottes Ruf (Bonifatius, 2016), the history of the Sisters of Christian Charity since 1881, by Sister Anna Schwanz, SCC, translated by Sister Mary Perpetua Rehle, SCC.
Our Congregation took various means to acquaint young women with religious life. These varied according to country. In 1946, the Western Province opened a so-called Juniorate in Wilmette with seven girls, who could become more acquainted with the community and, at the same time, continue or complete their high school education. . . . About the same time (1947), a Juniorate was established in San Bernardo, Chile with five girls from the colegio. The Uruguay/Argentina Province opened a Juniorate in Montevideo, Uruguay, and in Martinez, Argentina. "Because relations between the Motherhouse and the Argentine houses was getting more and more difficult due to political opposition, the Province also created a Postulancy in Martinez for Argentine applicants that same year. . . . The Juniorate, which had been begun in Paderborn in 1925, was first moved to Wiedenbrück and later to Soest, but was discontinued in 1936 due to unfavorable circumstances.
In order to further the education of the young women in formation the Eastern Province opened a Junior College in Mendham, Assumption College. Young girls from the schools where our Sisters taught were invited to visit Mendham. They were hosted by the Aspirants and participated in vocation assemblies.
The lace of personnel led the Chilean Province to introduce five Cooperadoras for the first time in 1950. Thus the foundation was laid for a project that had been in the planning for some time already: "to gain young women who felt drawn to religious life, but who were unable to follow their desire for whatever reason, to become fellow workers in building up the kingdom of God in the Chilean Province."