As part of our ongoing observance of the 200th birthday of Blessed Pauline von Mallinckrodt, we continue to post excerpts of Als Antwort auf Gottes Ruf (Bonifatius, 2016), the history of the Sisters of Christian Charity since 1881, by Sister Anna Schwanz, SCC, translated by Sister Mary Perpetua Rehle, SCC.
Expansion in America
The American foundations were spared the constraints and the horrors of Nazi domination and the immediate acts of war. While the gradual loss of activities took place in Europe, the Provinces in America were able to expand freely, and, until 1939, with the support of personnel from Germany. Thus there was much activity during these years. Because of the times or special circumstances, houses were closed and new ones opened; activities were relinquished, changed or new ones undertaken. Despite the constant increase in the number of Sisters during these years, not all the offers, by far, for new foundations could be considered. Again and again, the Chronicles mention this fact together with the regret that there was a "lack of Sisters."
In this regard, the situation was especially difficult in Chile. A request made to both North American Provinces in the year 1936, asking for missionaries to Chile, called forth much enthusiasm among the younger Sisters. One Sister was chosen from each Province, and again in 1941.