Friday, November 14, 2008

Reminder: Jubilee Sunday is December 14

Thanks to Sister Joseph for alerting us to this:

Jubilee Sunday annually provides an opportunity for communities of faith to hold a Sunday service focused on the principles of Jubilee. Join Jubilee Congregations around the United States in dedicating part or all of your time together to pray for global economic justice, deepen the communities understanding of the debt issue, take concrete action for debt cancellation for all impoverished countries, and receive a special offering to support the work of the Jubilee USA Network. Click here for more information and liturgy resources on Jubilee Sunday, December 14.

Another reminder will be posted closer to December 14, but it might be good to check out the resources now.

1 comment:

  1. Not that we should be in the habit of holding another indebted to us, but there are times when we "lend"/give something to someone, maybe even money, and the person feels (or we feel they are) indebted to us. This post reminds me that during the Jubilee Year 2000 I heard a talk or read somewhere (sorry I don't remember precisely) that are asked also to think about forgiving debts individually, person to person. I have tried to keep that thought in mind. So even when I have not felt that I hold someone in debt I pray to release anyone whom I may have inadvertantly made to feel that they are in debt to me. It's a spiritual act more than anything else, but I have found that it helps me connect more deeply to the Jubilee act of releasing/forgiving debt.

    ReplyDelete